Science Wiz: Climate Change in Canning Jars
Tobes really wanted to do some “experiments” this week. Since it’s been raining so much, we decided to make rain, fog and tornadoes using canning jars. These are more “magic tricks” than “science experiments” per so. But they sure are fun! I remember doing all of these as a kid in a friend’s basement “wet-bar.”
Tight Fitting Canning Lid [Ring and Flat Disc] or a Plate
Pour about an inch of boiling water into your jar.
Seal the Jar with its Ring and Disk or Place a Plate on top of the open jar.
Place ice on top of the Disk or the Plate.
Watch the heat from the water below meet the cold plate above and create condensation that “rains” back down the sides of the jar.
FOG RISING FROM A CANNING JAR
This one’s hard to catch in a photograph!
Cheesecloth and a Circular Canning Lid/Ring or a Small Strainer
Fill the jar with boiling water.
Let sit for a few minutes.
Have an adult pour all of the water out of the hot jar.
Add about an inch of boiling water back into the hot jar.
Place the cloth and circular ring on the top of the jar or place a strainer over top and top it/fill it with ice.
Watch a fog begin to form and rise above the jar as the cold air meets the warm air and condenses!
Canning Jar with a Tight Fitting Lid [Ring and Disc]
2 tsp Dish Soap
2 tsp Vinegar
A Few Drops of Food Colouring
Fill the jar about .8 full with water.
Add the dish soap, vinegar and food colour.
Seal with a tight fitting lid and swirl gently until combined.
Next, “swirl” the jar around by the neck using a circular motion.
Watch a “Tornado” appear! Check out that vortex! The Centrifugal Force!
Tags: Climate Change in Canning Jars, fog rising from a canning jar, fog rising from a jar, Kids Experiments, Kids Make Weather, Kids Science Experiments, rain in a canning jar, rain in a jar, Science Party, tornado in a canning jar, tornado in a jar, Weather Experiments for Kids, Weather in Jars for Kids, Weather Science
- Summer of Funner has a new Host and a New Look! Join Us & Re-Subscribe!!
- Thanks for a Fabulous Summer! Stay Tuned for The Lunchbox Season!
- Summer of Funner Film Festival 2013: Dystopian and Urban Films
- Summer Books: Imagine Like Bradbury, Story Sketches and Dystopian Novel “Teasers”
- “Face” Painting
- Summer Books: Mapping Gulliver’s Travels
- Pickle Day 2013: Make It Spicy!
- Backyard Campout Weekend!
- Summer Books: Poe’s Tales of Mystery and Imagination & Poe-Inspired “Ghost Story Starters”
- Summer Books: Paradise Lost, Book 9, and Automatic Villain Poems
- Join me for something new!
- UNARMED TRUTH and UNCONDITIONAL LOVE, The Women’s March on Washington : Toronto
- New Year’s Eve Movie Party : Transformation Movies
- Merry Christmas
- Family Advent Calendar : Christmas Eve Checklist
- Family Advent Calendar : Make Bûche de Noël + 5 Bûche de Noël Recipes
- Family Advent Calendar : Family Pajama Exchange
- Family Advent Calendar : Double Chocolate Cookies with Andes Mints
- Family Advent Calendar : Daily Bread Food Bank Donation #givingtuesday
- Family Advent Calendar: Football in the Park After Dark
So This Is Where the Club Meets!: Summer of Funner Categories
Check Out Our Theme Days!
- Chocolate Day
- Clay Day
- Comic Strip Days
- Crazy Fruit Day
- Cucumber Day
- Egg Day
- Jelly & Ice Cream Day
- Macaron Day
- Mad Science Day – Candy Experiments
- Make-it-Yourself Days
- Marshmallow Day
- Mural Days
- Peach Day
- Pizza Day
- Pomme Day [Apple & Potato Day]
- Protest Days
- The Day in Condiments [Mustard Relish and Jam]
- Sketch Day
- Soap Day
- Strawberry Day