The Imaginary Beasts of Riverdale Farm
August 13, 2012
Last year, we traveled to Riverdale Farm to sketch the farm animals, not knowing if the city and its mayor would pull financial support from the farm or if it would remain open to the public. We called these our Save the Riverdale Farm Sketches. With the farm saved from the chopping block, at least for the moment (though we are still holding our breath), it was time to make a more frivolous summer return. I had intended this to be a serious drawing lesson involving shadows and light. However, the kids had their own ideas. This time, inspired by Borges’ Book of Imaginary Beings (one of Tobes’ favorites) and by “Newt Scamander’s” Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, the kids decided all of a sudden that they wanted to draw “imaginary animals” and “fun mutations” based upon the real, live animals we visited today.
The next step will be for the kids to write a small biographical description of each of their creatures! Then, we’ll concoct some wild “ghost” stories about them…a project to last us right through to Halloween, no doubt! I wouldn’t even be surprised if we ended up with a full-fledged children’s book by the end of the year!!!
Here’s a look at the sketches that went into their Yesterday Books today!
And here’s a look at the kids in action:
Tags: art for kids, Borges, Borges Book of Imaginary Beings, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Hagrid, Imaginary Beasts, Imaginary Beasts of Riverdale Farm, kids crafts, riverdale farm, Rowling, sketching at the riverdale farm, Sketching with kids, Summer sketchbooks, things to do with kids, things to do with kids over the summer
About Roseanne CarraraI produce seasonal parenting sites at http://www.thelunchboxseason.com [Sept-June] and http://www.summeroffunner.com [June-Sept]. My professional writing site is http://www.roseannecarrara.com
- Summer of Funner has a new Host and a New Look! Join Us & Re-Subscribe!!
- Thanks for a Fabulous Summer! Stay Tuned for The Lunchbox Season!
- Summer of Funner Film Festival 2013: Dystopian and Urban Films
- Summer Books: Imagine Like Bradbury, Story Sketches and Dystopian Novel “Teasers”
- “Face” Painting
- Summer Books: Mapping Gulliver’s Travels
- Pickle Day 2013: Make It Spicy!
- Backyard Campout Weekend!
- Summer Books: Poe’s Tales of Mystery and Imagination & Poe-Inspired “Ghost Story Starters”
- Summer Books: Paradise Lost, Book 9, and Automatic Villain Poems
- Join me for something new!
- UNARMED TRUTH and UNCONDITIONAL LOVE, The Women’s March on Washington : Toronto
- New Year’s Eve Movie Party : Transformation Movies
- Merry Christmas
- Family Advent Calendar : Christmas Eve Checklist
- Family Advent Calendar : Make Bûche de Noël + 5 Bûche de Noël Recipes
- Family Advent Calendar : Family Pajama Exchange
- Family Advent Calendar : Double Chocolate Cookies with Andes Mints
- Family Advent Calendar : Daily Bread Food Bank Donation #givingtuesday
- Family Advent Calendar: Football in the Park After Dark
So This Is Where the Club Meets!: Summer of Funner Categories
Check Out Our Theme Days!
- Chocolate Day
- Clay Day
- Comic Strip Days
- Crazy Fruit Day
- Cucumber Day
- Egg Day
- Jelly & Ice Cream Day
- Macaron Day
- Mad Science Day – Candy Experiments
- Make-it-Yourself Days
- Marshmallow Day
- Mural Days
- Peach Day
- Pizza Day
- Pomme Day [Apple & Potato Day]
- Protest Days
- The Day in Condiments [Mustard Relish and Jam]
- Sketch Day
- Soap Day
- Strawberry Day