Camp Snacks: Soft, Lemon-Glazed Gingerbread Cookies and Cookie Pops
July 9-13, 2012
We might have to reclassify these first two weeks of July as a “Prelude” to our Summer of Funner proper. First, we had a week-long family visit. Then, the kids spent a week at day camp at the Toronto Zoo. So, despite the humid weather, the Summer of Funner hasn’t really heated up just yet… No worries, the science experiments, art projects, math games, efforts of social activism, musical mayhem, local outings, and story writing are well on their way. In the meantime, here’s the recipe for the camp snacks that we camp up with….our Soft, Lemon-Iced Ginger Cookies and Cookie Pops
The good thing about starting with a soft ginger cookie [or cookie pop] at the beginning of the week is that even if it hardens up a bit [although, stored in a plastic tubby, ours did not], it will still be tasty by the end of the week. This makes these cookies great for day-camp lunchbags and also for sleep-away camp care-packages. Just be sure to label your homebaked treats as “nut-free & baked with love,” or else they might be banned from the day-camp picnic table [as ours were on day one – lesson learned] or from the sleepaway-camp cabin!
Soft, Lemon-Glazed Ginger Cookies and Cookie Pops
makes 20-24 generously sized treats
.5 c butter, softened slightly
.25 c shortening [or butter]
1 c brown sugar
.5 c molasses
1 tbs vanilla
1 tbs vinegar
2.5 c all-purpose flour
1.5 tsp baking soda
.5 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
.5 tsp ground cloves
Long wooden coffee stirrer sticks or long lollipop sticks
1.5 c icing sugar
2+ tbs lemon juice [milk is a viable substitute]
yellow food colouring [optional]
Heat oven to 375 F.
Line baking pans with parchment or silpats.
In a separate bowl, blend flour, soda, salt, and spices.
In the bowl of a mixer, cream the butter, shortening and sugar.
Add molasses, egg, vanilla and vinegar and blend again.
Add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl in stages until blended.
If desired, refrigerate dough for a few hours. [It’s totally unnecessary here]
Form dough into golfball-sized spheres.
To make a basic cookie, skip the next step.
To make a cookie pop, insert a long wooden coffee stirrer or lollipop stick halfway into the dough ball.
Flatten dough balls [with or without stirrer/lollipop sticks] slightly on parchment lined pans.
Bake cookies for 6-8 minutes.
Cookies will be soft when removed from oven.
If you don’t like soft cookies or want a harder set from the get-go, bake 2-4 minutes longer.
Cool completely on wire racks.
[You can refrigerate or even flash freeze them for a minute or two if you’re in a rush.]
For the Lemon Glaze:
Add lemon juice [or milk] to the icing sugar, 1 tbs at a time.
Stir with a fork or spoon until it becomes a thick but drizzle-able glaze.
If you are using lemon juice and run out, continue thinning the glaze with small amounts of water.
Add a few drops of yellow food colouring if so desired.
Drizzle icing over cookies with a fork.
Allow icing to set before storing, wrapping, or packing the cookies or cookie pops into the day-camp lunchbags or sleepaway-camp care packages.
Tags: Baking for Camp, Baking with the Kids, Camp Snacks, Camp Treats, Care-Packages, Care-Packages for Camp, Ginger Cookie REcipe, Gingerbread Cookie Recipe, Lemon-Glazed Gingerbread Cookies, Soft Ginger Cookies, Soft Gingerbread Cookies, Soft Lemon-Glazed Ginger Cookies
- Summer of Funner has a new Host and a New Look! Join Us & Re-Subscribe!!
- Thanks for a Fabulous Summer! Stay Tuned for The Lunchbox Season!
- Summer of Funner Film Festival 2013: Dystopian and Urban Films
- Summer Books: Imagine Like Bradbury, Story Sketches and Dystopian Novel “Teasers”
- “Face” Painting
- Summer Books: Mapping Gulliver’s Travels
- Pickle Day 2013: Make It Spicy!
- Backyard Campout Weekend!
- Summer Books: Poe’s Tales of Mystery and Imagination & Poe-Inspired “Ghost Story Starters”
- Summer Books: Paradise Lost, Book 9, and Automatic Villain Poems
- Join me for something new!
- UNARMED TRUTH and UNCONDITIONAL LOVE, The Women’s March on Washington : Toronto
- New Year’s Eve Movie Party : Transformation Movies
- Merry Christmas
- Family Advent Calendar : Christmas Eve Checklist
- Family Advent Calendar : Make Bûche de Noël + 5 Bûche de Noël Recipes
- Family Advent Calendar : Family Pajama Exchange
- Family Advent Calendar : Double Chocolate Cookies with Andes Mints
- Family Advent Calendar : Daily Bread Food Bank Donation #givingtuesday
- Family Advent Calendar: Football in the Park After Dark
So This Is Where the Club Meets!: Summer of Funner Categories
Check Out Our Theme Days!
- Chocolate Day
- Clay Day
- Comic Strip Days
- Crazy Fruit Day
- Cucumber Day
- Egg Day
- Jelly & Ice Cream Day
- Macaron Day
- Mad Science Day – Candy Experiments
- Make-it-Yourself Days
- Marshmallow Day
- Mural Days
- Peach Day
- Pizza Day
- Pomme Day [Apple & Potato Day]
- Protest Days
- The Day in Condiments [Mustard Relish and Jam]
- Sketch Day
- Soap Day
- Strawberry Day