August 26, 2011
On Tuesday’s Egg Day, we began a 3-day experiment. We placed a raw egg into a mason jar full of vinegar and sealed the jar, setting the whole thing aside for a few days. At that point, the kids hypothesized that the egg would explode inside of the jar.
This morning, we had a look at our egg to see if it had transformed.
When Bea went to unscrew the lid, the jar made a popping sound, as if gasses had been released. Aside from the strong smell of vinegar, however, we didn’t sense any off-putting smells.
Each of the kids had a turn trying to remove the egg from the jar. This was difficult. The egg had expanded. And, it looked even larger than its new, expanded size because of the presence of the liquid. It also seemed rather squishy. I finally had to remove it with a large spoon.
The kids were amazed by the results! They were left with a bouncy, rubbery chicken egg the size of a goose egg. It had an orange tinge from the yolk still trapped inside.
They spent some time squishing it, but neither of them wanted to bounce the egg to see if it would break. So, we wished it well and deposited it back into the jar of vinegar for safekeeping. We might break it out again at Halloween, perhaps transforming it into a “floating eye” for display by the cauldron of candy we keep at the front door! Come “trick-or-treat” at our place and you can have a look!
- Summer of Funner has a new Host and a New Look! Join Us & Re-Subscribe!!
- Thanks for a Fabulous Summer! Stay Tuned for The Lunchbox Season!
- Summer of Funner Film Festival 2013: Dystopian and Urban Films
- Summer Books: Imagine Like Bradbury, Story Sketches and Dystopian Novel “Teasers”
- “Face” Painting
- Summer Books: Mapping Gulliver’s Travels
- Pickle Day 2013: Make It Spicy!
- Backyard Campout Weekend!
- Summer Books: Poe’s Tales of Mystery and Imagination & Poe-Inspired “Ghost Story Starters”
- Summer Books: Paradise Lost, Book 9, and Automatic Villain Poems
- Join me for something new!
- UNARMED TRUTH and UNCONDITIONAL LOVE, The Women’s March on Washington : Toronto
- New Year’s Eve Movie Party : Transformation Movies
- Merry Christmas
- Family Advent Calendar : Christmas Eve Checklist
- Family Advent Calendar : Make Bûche de Noël + 5 Bûche de Noël Recipes
- Family Advent Calendar : Family Pajama Exchange
- Family Advent Calendar : Double Chocolate Cookies with Andes Mints
- Family Advent Calendar : Daily Bread Food Bank Donation #givingtuesday
- Family Advent Calendar: Football in the Park After Dark
So This Is Where the Club Meets!: Summer of Funner Categories
Check Out Our Theme Days!
- Chocolate Day
- Clay Day
- Comic Strip Days
- Crazy Fruit Day
- Cucumber Day
- Egg Day
- Jelly & Ice Cream Day
- Macaron Day
- Mad Science Day – Candy Experiments
- Make-it-Yourself Days
- Marshmallow Day
- Mural Days
- Peach Day
- Pizza Day
- Pomme Day [Apple & Potato Day]
- Protest Days
- The Day in Condiments [Mustard Relish and Jam]
- Sketch Day
- Soap Day
- Strawberry Day