Hands for Jack
August 24, 2011On Monday, we lost Jack Layton. The leader of Canada’s official opposition party, and a former Toronto city councillor, Mr. Layton passed away after a heroic fight against cancer. Even in his last days, he stopped to consider all of us, writing a Letter To Canadians that has struck a chord with one and all.
Inspired by the memorials that have been popping up around this city and in our nation’s capital, I thought that perhaps we could spend some time designing a three part mural in Jack’s honour, celebrating the Love, Optimism, and Hope he propounded in his letter.
I figured that we might use these designs to paint our fence, or as a springboard for a larger community project.
Of course, as the day evolved, things changed.
Bea had a friend over to visit this morning. Towards the end of her visit, I asked her what types of images she would paint on a wall dedicated to either “Love” or “Hope” or “Optimism.” Each one of her answers included a reference to human hands. For “Love,” she suggested “people holding hands.” For “Peace or Hope” she suggested “hands praying.” And, after I explained what “Optimism” meant, she talked about hands in the air, raised in hope or celebration.
Perhaps the thing to do, then, would be something incredibly simple, at least for now. Perhaps the thing to do would be to raise our hands for Jack right here and now. So, before our sweet guest took her leave, I had the three children dip their hands in dark orange paint and print them on orange paper. It’s a start, at least…perhaps, the start of a movement.
Our results are above and below. To me, our guest’s prints, at the top of the triptych, symbolize Love, Bea’s handprints, in the center, symbolize Optimism, and Tobes’ prints, at the bottom, Hope. But, I’ll let you decide.
About Roseanne CarraraI produce seasonal parenting sites at http://www.thelunchboxseason.com [Sept-June] and http://www.summeroffunner.com [June-Sept]. My professional writing site is http://www.roseannecarrara.com
- Summer of Funner has a new Host and a New Look! Join Us & Re-Subscribe!!
- Thanks for a Fabulous Summer! Stay Tuned for The Lunchbox Season!
- Summer of Funner Film Festival 2013: Dystopian and Urban Films
- Summer Books: Imagine Like Bradbury, Story Sketches and Dystopian Novel “Teasers”
- “Face” Painting
- Summer Books: Mapping Gulliver’s Travels
- Pickle Day 2013: Make It Spicy!
- Backyard Campout Weekend!
- Summer Books: Poe’s Tales of Mystery and Imagination & Poe-Inspired “Ghost Story Starters”
- Summer Books: Paradise Lost, Book 9, and Automatic Villain Poems
- Join me for something new!
- UNARMED TRUTH and UNCONDITIONAL LOVE, The Women’s March on Washington : Toronto
- New Year’s Eve Movie Party : Transformation Movies
- Merry Christmas
- Family Advent Calendar : Christmas Eve Checklist
- Family Advent Calendar : Make Bûche de Noël + 5 Bûche de Noël Recipes
- Family Advent Calendar : Family Pajama Exchange
- Family Advent Calendar : Double Chocolate Cookies with Andes Mints
- Family Advent Calendar : Daily Bread Food Bank Donation #givingtuesday
- Family Advent Calendar: Football in the Park After Dark
So This Is Where the Club Meets!: Summer of Funner Categories
Check Out Our Theme Days!
- Chocolate Day
- Clay Day
- Comic Strip Days
- Crazy Fruit Day
- Cucumber Day
- Egg Day
- Jelly & Ice Cream Day
- Macaron Day
- Mad Science Day – Candy Experiments
- Make-it-Yourself Days
- Marshmallow Day
- Mural Days
- Peach Day
- Pizza Day
- Pomme Day [Apple & Potato Day]
- Protest Days
- The Day in Condiments [Mustard Relish and Jam]
- Sketch Day
- Soap Day
- Strawberry Day